Saturday, January 14, 2017

Eighty-Four Months of First Grader Frances: The Big Day Arrives!

Wow.

The kiddo is seven.

The day of, I brought brownies to Frances's classroom and all the kids sang "Happy Birthday" to her.  She liked it.


And then Mark brought her a fancy-dancy cupcake from a fancy shop.  It was big enough for the four of us to share.  She liked it, too.



Questions for Seven Year-Old Frances

  • What is your name?  "Frances."
  • How old are you?  "Seven."
  • Who do you live with?  "Huh?  My mom, my dad and my sister."
  • What is your favorite color?  "My favorite color is brown, I mean black, I mean yellow." [This is news to me.]
  • Who do you like to spend time with?  "My teacher, my teacher."
  • What do you like to do with your family?  "Um, I like to go out on walks with my family and go to a playground."
  • Where do you like to go? "I like to go to the mall and have, watch Moana." [Frances and I did this for a special togetherness day right after Christmas.]  
  • What makes you sad?  "Nothing!"  [Interesting answer.  About forty-eight hours earlier, she was sobbing because some kids at school teased her by hiding her scarf.  Sobbing.  The kid's practicing her denial skills.]
  • What is your favorite toy?  "My favorite toy is a doll." [Mom asks for clarification.]  "My troll doll."
  • What is your favorite fruit?  "My favorite fruit apple."
  • What is your favorite TV show? "How to Train Your Dragon II."  [What she actually likes is the How to Train Your Dragon TV program.  I believe it's called Race To The Edge.]
  • What is your favorite vegetable?  "Broccoli."  [This is actually true; she will eat broccoli.]
  • What is your favorite lunch? " My favorite lunch is pepperoni, ranch, apples, carrots to go with the ranch and clementines.  I was about to say clams, but I don't like clams."
  • What are your favorite clothes? " My favorite clothes is a unicorn shirt and the pants are polka dots."
  • What is your favorite game? "My favorite game is tag."
  • What is your favorite snack?  "Cookies.  My favorite snack is cookies."  [I live with cookie monsters.  We make about three batches a week.]
  • What is your favorite animal?  "My favorite animal...well, I actually have a made-up favorite animal.  My made-up favorite animal is a dragon."
  • What is your favorite song?  "My favorite song is The Best Day of My Life."  [I did some research.  She means "Best Day of My Life," by the American Authors.  Last year, the answer to this question was "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star," just for some perspective.]
  • What is your favorite book?  "My favorite book is The Three Little PIgs."  [Her class is studying The Three Little Pigs at school.]
  • Who is your best friend?  "My best friend, well, I have lots of best friends.  One of my best friends is Darby. My second best friend is Kealakai.  My third best friend is Sophia.  And my other best friend is, my best, best friend is Natalia."
  • What is your favorite sport?  "I don't have any favorite sports."  [At least that's honest.]
  • What is your favorite thing to do outside? "My favorite thing to do outside is play on my scooter.  Zoom!  Zoom!  I go really fast on my scooter."  [This is kind of huge.  If we can't get her excited about her bike, at least she can be excited about her scooter.] 
  • What is your favorite drink?  "My favorite drink is water.  Water is good, although it doesn't taste like anything."  [She's also really fond of apple cider, which is a pleasant surprise every time she ingests it.]
  • What is your favorite holiday?  "My favorite holiday is Christmas.  I get a lot of presents." [This is reassuring.  Mark and I have been paring back the gift giving to avoid that icky, overwhelmed feeling.  Maybe we'll cut back a tad more.]
  • What do you like to take to bed with you at night? "My stuffties and my pyjamas."  [She picked out some gnome p.j.s that are very cute, I must say.]
  • What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? "Pancakes!"  [I've been making a lot of sourdough pancakes lately.]
  • What is your favorite dinner?  "My favorite dinner is, I like ham.  And I like carrots and dressing.  And I like apples."
  • What do you want to be when you grow up?  "I want to be a teacher!  A teacher!"
  • What is your daddy's name?  "My daddy's name is Mark."
  • What is your mommy's name? "My mommy's name is Morgan."
  • What is sister's name?  "My sister's name is Chandler and she's so cute."  [Frances has to hear about how cute Chandler is a lot from her own school friends.  This is an unfortunate situation, but I'm not sure how to remedy it.  They also assume Chandler is a boy frequently.  Perhaps that balances out the cute comments a little?]
  • Where do you live? "I live on 186 Amory Street." [She can usually recite my telephone number, too.  Progress!]

Boy, she's grown up a lot in a year.  I guess that's how she'll be old enough for college in eleven years.

And now I will weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment