Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Valentine's Day Fail

I thought I had a great idea for a Valentine's Day treat for Frances's school friends: heart-shaped birdseed ornaments that get hung outside for birds to eat.  They're shaped like hearts, so good for Valentine's Day.  They're easy to make, so good for Frances and me.  They're not candy, so good for giving away to kids whose parents may be anti-candy.  I thought it was a brilliant idea.  Then I read the fine print on the birdseed bag and learned that it was produced in a facility that also handles nuts.  Nuts are an absolute no-no at Frances's school and I wasn't up for hunting down birdseed produced in a facility that doesn't also handle nuts. We scrapped the idea of giving the ornaments away but I thought it was still a good project for Frances.

Frances helped mix the ingredients: flour...


...water...


...karo syrup...



...and birdseed.


Frances (and/or Mark) stirred to combine (and maybe sampled a bit).



Then Frances pressed the mixture into a heart-shaped mold.  What could be simpler?


The day after Valentine's day, we took our ornament outside to hang.



Right after this photo was taken, Frances and I climbed over a snow bank with the ornament to get to our chosen tree.  And the ornament shattered.

Valentine's Day Fail.


No comments:

Post a Comment