Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Wandering into the Wide World of Bagels!

This was so exciting for me.  I've been working with sourdough for about a year now.  Some recipes have turned out more successfully than others, but we're coming along, my sourdough starter and I.  So I decided to try my hand at bagels.  I'd heard they were a real pain, but the recipe I found for sourdough bagels didn't look complicated, and she who hesitates is lost (quoth Linda Brown), so I gave it a whirl.

I am so very glad I did!


They turned out so well.  Crispy on the outside, squishy on the inside.  Even my wretched children who generally scorn all my food liked the bagels:


Well, one of my wretched children liked them.  The other wretched child "read" The Gruffalo, with which she is currently obsessed and ignored the food.  Fifty per cent ain't bad?  I'm considering leaving my baking projects in the teachers' lounge at Frances's school.  Those teachers are appreciative, approximately five hundred times more appreciative than my wretched children.

(Ok, to Frances's credit, she did try the lamb meatballs I made tonight.  The other kid gets no points.  Zip.  I give her three years to come around to food, as Frances has done, and then she's getting nothing but hot buttered toast, I tell you, just so I know some calories are getting in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment