Monday, December 26, 2016

When your mom reads...

Years ago, Barbara Kingsolver published the book Animal, Vegetable, Mineral.  And I'm not sure why, but I decided just now was my time to read it.  I'm really pleased I did.  To sum up, a lot, it was about the Kingsolvers trying to eat locally for a year.  They had excellent reasons for doing so.  I found it inspiring.  And I love fall food.  So, clearly the Hayward-Uptons needed to eat a lot of locally-grown pumpkins this fall.  Clearly.  

Lucky for me, the girls didn't mind dissecting some pumpkins for roasting.




And now we know that smallish pumpkins have about five hundred seeds.

We also are now familiar with the taste of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin chili, pumpkin oatmeal and pumpkin seeds.  The cookies weren't a huge hit.  The girls didn't even notice the pumpkin in their oatmeal, which I'll consider a win.  The pumpkin chili was fabulous.  It was a wonderful October.

Now, I wonder what book I should read next.

No comments:

Post a Comment