Thursday, December 22, 2016

My babies!

Not really, but kinda.

I'm cheating here a little.  I don't usually write about anything but the girls, but some things deserve an exception.

Several months ago, I got interested in making my own sourdough starter.  I can't remember what sparked my interest; I didn't even know making a sourdough starter was an option until recently.  But I made one and tried to use it to make real sourdough.  The first starter was a dud, but I got that figured out.  The first three attempts at the bread were duds, too, but the fourth attempt, oh, the fourth attempt!!


Beauties, no?

I have to say, as soon as I produced edible loaves, my interest diminished quite a bit.  The timing of sourdough is so persnickety.  Too persnickety to fit into family-with-young-children life, at least at my skill level.  Still, I'm finding all sorts of uses for my starter, pancakes and hybrid sandwich bread and gingerbread muffins and naan and crackers.  Hard to say where this project will lead, but the process is intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment