Sunday, December 4, 2016

Day Four in Michigan

And then there were donuts.


Mostly we just went to Michigan to eat.

And then it was time to go home.

The drive home was not pretty, not at all.  I made several mistakes.  First, I drove on a Saturday.  In my mind, the scope of the trip outweighed weekday vs. weekend traffic.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Getting across the border, back into America, took three times as long on the weekend.  Second, I didn't check weather.  To be fair, seeing a forecast of rain wouldn't have given me pause, but it should have.  After drought conditions all summer long, the heavens opened over New York.  Tempestuous rain from New York border to New York border.  It was awful.  Third, the kids were done, and I hadn't planned for that.  I had tons of new distractions, I even pulled out the movie machine which hadn't been at all necessary on the way to Michigan, but they were just done.  In retrospect, I should have called it a day after six hours, found a hotel with a pool and settled in for the night.  It was a white-knuckle experience, to be sure.  Next time, we'll stop at Seneca Falls and see the women's history museum.  That's sure to defuse tension, right?

I'm still trying to chalk it up to live-and-learn.  I haven't gotten there yet (i.e. forgiven myself for how miserable we were on the way home) but maybe I'll get there, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment