Thursday, May 30, 2013

I Wanna Cape!

Yet again, Mother's Day found the Hayward-Uptons wandering the streets of Somerville, MA.  Why?  Because nothing says Mother's Day like a good 5k, at least for our friends the Ahouses, whom we like enough to humor.

The day started off with a 1k Fun Run for the kiddos.  This part is always a blast for the kids who get to run and the parents who get to run with them and take their pictures.


There's Frances and Sophia in the middle with some friends.  See how Sophia is #19 and Frances is #433?  That says something about their mothers' organizational skills and enthusiasm for running.



Away we go!


Last year, there was crying and bringing up the rear.  This year, the girls seemed to get the hang of it.  After the race, all the kids got ribbons.  Sophia and Frances were a tad excited.



Next, it was time for the adults to run.  I have to admit it was a blast.  As usual, Dave pushed Frances and Sophia (he says he'll do it again next year when the kids are four; he just hopes their size won't affect his time - barf-o-rama).  Mark pushed Theo and Chandler and Michele and I ran.  Gratuitous bragging coming up: This was the first jogging I'd done since being six months pregnant, many moons ago, so I was expecting to get through by alternating walking and jogging for a couple minutes each.  I jogged the whole way on this very non-namby-pamby course!  I was so pleased with myself I wanted a medal or cape or some sort of ridiculous recognition.  I was walking on air the whole rest of the day.

Back at the finish line, Chandler slept in her stroller.  In her defense, she'd rolled over for the first time the day before so she was probably worn out.


The gang back at the finish line, all smiles:


There's actually a legitimate reason Mark wore a button-down shirt to a race.  Last year, Mark spectated with Theo while the rest of us ran.  This year, when I asked him if he wanted to walk with Theo and Chandler, Mark assumed I meant he'd be walking around while we ran.  But I really meant he'd be joining the walkers in the race while pushing the two little kids.  We didn't understand there'd been a mix-up until we were pinning on numbers.  And he jogged the last mile or so with me while pushing the little kids!  I was so pleased with us.

A last shot before going back to the Ahouses for brunch (Michele must have heeded my whining last year about wanting a brunch on Mother's Day): 


And then we ate, a lot.

I believe the rest of the day consisted of lying around on any flat surface we could find.  It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment