Thursday, October 27, 2016

Old Sturbridge Village

One Saturday morning, I said to Mark, "I really want the kids to see Plimoth Plantation and Old Sturbridge Village this summer."  He said, "Old Sturbridge is free for kids today."  That's all it took.  We checked in with some buddies and were Old-Sturbridge-bound.

The aforementioned buddies were the Linfoots, of course.



Here we go 'round the vine arch.  Frances, Peanut, Chandler, Darby and Adler in orange in the distance.


Pumping water was very popular, probably more with our brood than with actual colonial children.  But I'm just guessing.



After much water pumping, we watched a hot air balloon launch.  Apparently that was a popular pastime; setting the paper balloon on fire seemed to be an accepted risk.  Never mind your skirts.



Away it goes.



Then there was a wagon ride around the grounds, complete with draft horses.  Two horse-drawn wagon rides in one year for me - life is looking up!



Frances helped water the pigs.  We learned the colonials ate between 3,000 and 5,000 calories a day.  That's a lot of pig.


And Chandler had a little lamb.



Now some pretty stuff, because I like pretty stuff.


See the rocks?  I like those rocks.  I'm going to have rock doorsteps, someday.


Fence with wheat.  Gorgeous.


Dyeing wool.


And bringing in the cows for the night.


I had to stop myself from asking too many questions about cow ovulation and reproduction during the milking demonstration, didn't want to scare the kiddies, or anyone else.  But it was fascinating.

The whole day was really interesting, but none too cheap, even with the free kids.  I think Plimoth Plantation will have to wait until next summer.  But one historical recreation per summer may be a saner pace.  If the kids start begging for more historical recreations, we can revisit that decision, but I don't see that happening soon.

1 comment:

  1. Plymouth.....you have no idea how literate you are!

    ReplyDelete