Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oh, Christmas Tree

In five(!) years of marriage, Mark and I have never had a Christmas or Christmas tree at our own home.  We've always traveled to family.  This year, between me being 32 weeks pregnant and Frances being born at 36 weeks, I wasn't interested in going anywhere. Our first tree is getting a lot of attention.

Frances and I have had several rounds of tree decorating.  Without planning it, most of the ornaments are a little earthy or homemade - salt clay ornaments, cinnamon applesauce ornaments, glittered pine cones, crystals, felt acorns and birds.  I'm really loving it.  


Frances was very taken with a tiny ornament that her Mimi sent and wanted to make sure we examined it together.  It is a tiny baby, wrapped in a tiny blanket, laid in a tiny nest.  Frances hung it with care.


A side note:  Frances seems a little confused about how this Christmas thing works.  At first, I think she was combining Halloween and Christmas because she would ask what we were going to dress up as for Christmas, and then make suggestions like "snow cloud" or snow man or snow flake.  She's eased up on that conversation, but the other day when I tried to relocate an ornament, she became very concerned that such a relocation would make Christmas never come to fruition.

Maybe next year the extended family will have to come to us so I can have my Christmas tree experience again?  Although that would require some dozen people to fly to Boston in December to hang out in a condo with nothing but a car park for kids to run around in.  What could possibly go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment