Friday, February 6, 2015

A Child's Christmas in Arkansas, Part III

This was the best.


A friend of ours told us about a TED talk that encouraged parents to allow their children to try out certain things, like learning to use a pocket knife, dismantling a household appliance, building/extinguishing fires, throwing spears and driving cars.  We don't have a lot of spears handy, but we do have cars, and in Arkansas, we had room to let Frances try her hand at steering Sir's farm truck.  


Frances did absolutely great.  She was a little nervous, but she didn't get too scared.  I think we had to encourage her not to quit once, but that was it. 


She got us all the way up and down Mimi and Sir's driveway.


I think she liked it.


Here she is with her noble steed:


It was also my noble steed when I was learning to drive, but I was a bit older than Frances is now.  I think it will last through Chandler, but probably not beyond.

So much fun.  Such a confidence booster.  I can't wait for Frances to do it again next year, or maybe in Maine this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment