Saturday, January 31, 2015

Frances, The Budding Artist

The K1 (that's Boston for pre-K) teachers at Frances's new school took it upon themselves to divide the year into themes.  I love this.  It gives the kids a chance to really look at a subject that I don't remember the regular ed kids having when I was growing up (the gifted kids, yes; us regulars, no).  The year's first theme was something like, "Who am I?" so the kids did self-portraits and also talked about their neighborhoods and Boston.  The study was concluded with an art show displaying all the kids' work.

Frances was very excited to wear her own clothes to the show, not just her school "uniform."  You can see she's got style:


The kids wrapped yarn around cardboard cut-outs of the first initial of their names.  This is Frances's F.


This is one version of Frances's self-portrait.


It says, "I like playing 'ponies.'  My favorite part of me are 'my eyes because they are blue.'  My favorite color is 'purple.'  I am good at 'thinking about stuff and telling my mama because I like thinking a lot.'"  Isn't that sweet?

And this is her second version of a self-portrait:


The kids also gathered recyclables and turned them into a city.  That's Frances's (animal?) hospital with the windows across the top. 



And this is Frances with Ms. Cadet, her teacher and one of the masterminds behind this display.


A couple of gems, to be sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment