Saturday, December 21, 2013

It's Advent!

We're going to be home in Arkansas this year for Christmas, but we still wanted to decorate for Advent.  (Ok, I wanted to decorate for Advent.  I love Advent and it's music - I wait all year for the Angel Gabriel, his wings of drifted snow and his eyes of flame.  So strange to picture.)  The day after Thanksgiving, we brought out our decorations and drank a round of hot chocolate.  Chandler pushed chairs.



Here's Chandler with our Advent Tree.


Mark says it reminds him of the tree from Charlie Brown's Christmas, but I like it.  Poor Mark wanted a great big tree, but Chandler eats everything in her path these days and I didn't fancy spending the month vacuuming pine needles.  And, as I believe I  mentioned, we won't be here for Christmas.  So I made us settle for this little guy.  It's alive and doesn't shed needles.  And my mom got us an Advent Calender that divides the Christmas story up into 24 miniature books (the authors got a little creative) that are hung on the tree after reading.  More intense Advent Calender experience than we're used to, but Frances seems to be enjoying it.  (I did skip the line about King Herod wanting to "destroy" the baby Jesus.  Seemed a bit much.)  Happy Advent to all, and to all a Jesus Christ, the Apple Tree!  (That's another hymn.  Sorry, couldn't resist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment